For the reasons we have listed, the dysfunction of illegal immigration tends to persist. The associated misery and suffering will continue indefinitely until a new approach is championed.
In this, President Trump represents a unique, and perhaps non-recurring, opportunity. The President has often been criticized for his combative nature, but his unrelenting pursuit of the illegal immigration issue has forced the subject. Although the President demands action, the Republicans are stymied for a workable policy solution, for the very reasons mentioned above.
This creates an opportunity, a limited window, in which to propose an alternative policy.
If a market-based system is not championed now, the system as we have known it for the last 35 years is likely to persist for decades, at vast human cost.
Without active intervention, in the next twenty-five years, at the current pace
- 25,000 migrants will die or be killed in transit
- 500,000 migrants will be kidnapped and held for ransom
- 2,500,000 migrant women will be raped
- 300,000 migrants will be trafficked into forced prostitution or labor
- 1,500,000 avoidable cases of drug smuggling across the southwest border will occur
- 1,500,000 migrants will be unnecessarily incarcerated
- 2,500 children will be harvested for their organs
These losses are almost entirely avoidable.
The time to act is now.